Marvin Defined

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Charger Fiasco


Once more I have to give my two cents. Just a couple of things though before we start. In the grand scheme of life and the world, sports is entertainment and not indicative of real life, as are movies, and music. My world doesn’t revolve any of the three, because I have real life to deal with. But I am interested, and mildly amused, so I will comment. The Other is that I am a third generation San Diego Charger Fan. My grandfather, two uncles and I are all fans and have been since the beginning. My grandfather and the uncles watched games at Balboa Stadium in the 1960’s. Also there has been a Thayer in San Diego since before the Navy Base was there, some six generations and 122 years. We identify with San Diego and the Chargers. So, with all that said, I want to comment on this Charger fiasco, so here is a random thought from the west end.

Spanos has been fighting with the city and the county for years over a new stadium, so now that the NFL played HIS trump card for THEIR benefit, he has no choice but to come back hat in hand. Fact of the matter is though; he was going to lose his kiester if he took that deal with the Rams. L.A. won’t support two NFL franchises; the Southern California attention span isn’t there. Spanos enjoys an 86% attendance rate in San Diego. He won’t get near that in L.A. Less people means less revenue, and the cost of the move was prohibitive. The NFL threw him a bone, with the $100 million. So the move cost savings, and the $100 million looks good to everyone, Spanos, elected officials and the taxpayer, who won’t have to pay for the new stadium. Now another has been dealt, let us see how the cards play. The next hang-up is where to put the stadium. Spanos wants it downtown, the city wants it in Mission Valley, and Chula Vista wants it too. It will probably go in Mission Valley, because there is no room downtown. Chula Vista is just too far out of the way. It will be near as I can tell near Qualcomm. That is an easy in easy out car wise and the trolley has a stop there already. Charger fans are charger fans, not Spanos fans. They never have been and never will, but they will go to the games. Charger fans are decent loyal fans, I know I am one, and if the Chargers stay we will remain so.   

No comments:

Post a Comment