Marvin Defined

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Cam Newton

Ok this is going to be my last word on Cam Newton. I thought in the beginning that he looked to be a great young quarterback, and maybe fresh air to the staleness that was and still is the NFL. He will be again
That being said, I like his attitude. He is non retentive, and owns all of what happened on Sunday. Hate him, like him, it doesn't matter, he is going to be the way he is. That is a good attitude and a bad attitude to have. It is good because it gives him incentive to play hard and a swagger needed to win consistently. What is bad about it is his ability to be a leader.
Cam wants to be a leader, but doesn't know how. He was never formally taught how to be a leader and as evidenced Sunday, he didn't come by leadership naturally. So he will have to learn it to earn it. The first lesson was Sunday, and he failed. As intelligent a man as he is Cam will learn something from that mistake. If he doesn't it will be because of other factors, not his intelligence, or his character both are rock solid. Unfortunately his arrogance will cost him dearly. I wasn't a football God like him, but like him I had the promise of youth, with the same arrogance, and I grew up too slow, and smart even slower. I pissed away that promise on arrogance, and pride, and it cost me dearly. That promise of youth is a double edged knife, and it will cut you deep, and often. With the promise comes expectation. I just hope Cam can harness the promise and exceed the expectation. Good luck I wish you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment